Reduced Distraction Testing Space
This space should have the following features: fewer sensory distractions than the usual testing environment (ie. visual dividers, headphones, testers spread out) and the student should have the option to start and end the test in the same room. Distraction free rooms do not exist, and students should be prepared for some noise and movement in any environment. Responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide a reduced distraction space at the department or schedule testing through the DSO.
- For the student to use a reduced distraction testing space at the DSO, it may be necessary for the instructor to be flexible about when the student takes the test for various reasons such as DSO space or staff availability. See Arranging Test Proctoring With The DSO
- Meet with the instructor to determine whether the test will be at the academic department or at the DSO.
- Schedule tests as early in the semester as possible to guarantee availability.
- Any test scheduling conflicts should be addressed with the instructor and resolved well in advance of the test. See Taking Exams With DSO
- Provide a reduced distraction testing space when the student has made a reservation or contacted DSO to make a reservation and space is available.
- When requested, provide earplugs or noise dampening headphones.