In circumstances that the learning environment is not designed universally, the DSO collaborates with students and faculty to determine reasonable accommodations to ensure equal opportunity.
Essential to the larger mission of the institution, the DSO promotes universally designed environments and facilitates accommodations and services that promote independence and allow equal access to the North Carolina State University experience.
- Promote an accessible campus environment where students are viewed on their ability, not disability.
- Establish and publicize clear guidelines and procedures to address the responsibilities of the University and student in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended 2008.
- Determine appropriate academic accommodations for students with disabilities to ensure equal access and promote the opportunity for academic success.
- Utilize the latest technology to enhance and support the educational experiences of students with disabilities.
- Provide students with disabilities the opportunity to develop and grow skills necessary to advocate for themselves within the campus community.