Word Prediction Software
Word prediction software (such as TextHELP! Read & Write) helps some students with physical limitations to type more quickly and accurately. TextHelp Read & Write works in conjunction with all Windows applications, including email and word processors. This software also reads text aloud so users can ensure they have typed the correct words. It has advanced spell checking, document scanning, screen reading, speech input, and pronunciation facilities. TextHelp Read & Write is available in the Novell Application Launcher on any workstation in the Unity Labs. Responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide word prediction software at the department or schedule testing through the DSO.
- For the student to use word prediction software at the DSO, it may be necessary for the instructor to be flexible about when the student takes the test for various reasons such as back-to-back classes, two final exams in a 24-hour period, DSO space or staff availability.
- Meet with the instructor to determine whether the test will be at the department or at the DSO.
- Any test scheduling conflicts should be addressed with the instructor and resolved well in advance of the test.
- Provide software and testing space when given at least one week of advance notice, a completed Modified Testing Agreement form, and when space is available.