An academic assistant is a person hired to perform academic physical tasks (such as manual tasks in labs and classrooms, real time description of essential visual information, etc.) when the student is unable to function independently with or without the use of other accommodations or services (such as assistive technology). Only the DSO assigns academic assistants. Assistants are assigned by the DSO for academic and course-related activities only. Academic assistants will not provide assistance for tasks of a personal nature, including personal study. Responsibilities are as follows:
- Whenever possible, identify suitable candidates to provide academic assistance in the classroom or lab. Refer applicants to the DSO reception desk to obtain an application (Monday - Friday, 8-5, Suite 1900 Student Health Center).
- The DSO will send you an email to inform you of the name of the assigned academic assistant.
- Allow the assigned academic assistant to attend the class as needed.
- Provide any necessary course information to the assistant.
- Confirm required events outside the usual classroom schedule i.e. field trips, etc.
- Provide the class schedule and syllabus to the DSO well in advance of the semester.
- Students can refer applicants and express a preference for assistants. Your preference will be considered but cannot be guaranteed when the DSO makes the assignment.
- Contact the DSO as soon as possible to report any class absence, problems with the acadmemic assistant or any change in course meeting times, places, or other essential information.
- Make sure that you always carry back-up methods such as note taking paper or recorder.
- The DSO will send you an email to inform you of the name of the academic assistant.
- Contact the DSO immediately to report any absence and/or problems. Repeated failure to report your absences to the DSO could result in the interruption of services.
- Notify the DSO two weeks in advance of required events outside the usual classroom schedule i.e. field trips, etc. Requests may be accepted with less notice, but the assistant cannot be guaranteed.
- Recruit, screen, assign, train, and supervise academic assistants.